Fetchmail and MailScanner

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 16:11:04 GMT 2005

Sounds like you are running SpamAssassin with procmail and spamc/spamd.
You can stop all of that (shutdown the SpamAssassin processes
altogether) and get your system up and running so that fetchmail is
collecting your mail and delivering it normally, without any
SpamAssassin involved at all.

Once that is working happily, shutdown down the sendmail service and
only then enable MailScanner. The MailScanner init.d script will start
up the copies of sendmail that it needs in exactly the right way. All
you then need to do to enable SpamAssassin is set "Use SpamAssassin =
yes" in MailScanner.conf and restart MailScanner. You do not want to be
running the spamassassin "service" (i.e. spamd+spamc) or the sendmail
"service" as MailScanner will look after that for you.

Once MailScanner is processing your mail, you will see MailScanner
headers appearing in all your messages, whether they are spam or not.

yoloits wrote:

>I have a Red Hat 3 server running MailScanner 4.37.7-1 and Sendmail.
>Fetchmail brings in all the email.  SpamAssassin 3.0.2 works fine on the
>email.  In MailScanner I use RBLs.  If it is on a blacklist I just want to
>drop it.  But MailScanner is not running the blacklist agains the emails.  I
>have no RBL checks in my log files.  SpamAssassin has emails scored with SBL
>and dsbl so I know I have email that should have been dropped by the RBLs.
>Because of SA scoring some SPAM gets through that could have been dropped
>with the RBLs.  The config is:
>
>Log Spam = yes
>Spam Checks = yes
>Spam List = ORDB-RBL SBL+XBL NJABL dsbl.org
>Spam Lists To Reach High Score = 1
>Spam List Timeout = 10
>Max Spam List Timeouts = 7
>
>Can I get MailScanner to process fetchmail or do I have a setup problem on
>my server?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Jay

>Before posting, read the MAQ (http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/) and