Blacklist To: not working

Daniel Bird dbird at SGHMS.AC.UK
Thu Jan 20 16:55:50 GMT 2005

Dan Harris wrote:

>>From: Daniel Bird
>>Subject: Re: Blacklist To: not working
>>Dan Haris wrote:
>>

>>>I'm trying to blacklist a To: address in my
>>>/etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.blacklist.rules file with an
>>>entry like this:
>>>
>>>To:     user at domain.co.uk               yes
>>>

>>You'll want to use Exim's callout fuction:
>>http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec.html
>>
>>A far better solution is to "block" at the MTA level IMHO.
>>
>>regards
>>Dan
>>

>Ok I understand how callouts work, but management insist that we accept
>inbound mail to any address at ourdomain.co.uk so that we can catch simple
>typos and forward the mail on. Unfortunately the destination for these
>non-existent addressees is me, which is why I would like to block some of
>the biggest spam destination addresses somehow. Hence the question about the
>To: entry in the blacklist. Is there any good reason why the To: entry in my
>spam.blacklist.rules wouldn't work? If so is there a "Better Way (TM)" to
>block just a few destination addresses in MailScanner/SA/Exim4?

If you really want to accept all, and block just a few, I'd suggest an
Exim4 ACL (possibly also using the lsearch fuction), which would allow
you to have an MTA blacklist, and keep any unneeded load off MailScanner

Just off the top of my head and *UNTESTED*

acl_check_rcpt:
  deny  message = delivery blocked because of too much spam to this address
  recipients = /path/to/file/containing/email-addresses

Redards Dan

>Best regards,
>
>Dan Harris.

>Before posting, read the MAQ (http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/) and