Problem with Bayes DB lock files

Chris Lyon cslyon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 23:19:18 GMT 2005

I have been seeing the same thing. The FAQ really didn't help. I am
running the same thing but with SA 3.0.2.

Clear the lock files and the entire databases./etc/MailScanner/bayes &
/root/.spamassassin.  It will run for about 10 minutes and everything
will be good then mail will start to stack up. Once it stacks up I
turn on debug and get this:

debug: lock: 4079 created
/etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes.lock.<system-name>.com.4079
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 0 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 1 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 2 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 3 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 4 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 5 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 6 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 7 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 8 retries
debug: lock: 4079 trying to get lock on /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
with 9 retries
Cannot open bayes databases /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes_* R/W: lock
failed: File exists

This happens for every message. It will keep doing this until I do
something with the lock files and the bayes databases.

So, I deleted the entire spam database, both /etc/MailScanner/bayes/*
and /root/.spamassassin/*. That seems to work every time but give it
about 5 minutes then it will start back up again.

Give it about 5 min and the lock files start to show and mail stops flowing.

I try to do an sa-learn â^À^Óforce-expire and a restart MailScanner:
	Doesn't do anything.

Delete the files then give it another try: It seems to work without
for a few then goes back to the lock file issues. So, every 5-6
minutes this happens. Not sure what to do in this case but I am
totally dead in the water.

Can anybody shed some light on this?