temporary file spawning

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 15 03:02:21 GMT 2005

Ade Fewings wrote:

> Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>
>> Ade Fewings wrote:

>>> Thanks for this guidance, but it hasn't worked.  I quadrupled the
>>> SpamAssassin timeout and got the same behaviour.  Additionally, I have
>>> had the chance to see a bad MailScanner process in action when things
>>> are going wrong.  The whole process of creating a couple of hundred
>>> thousand takes less than twenty seconds and truss'ing the process
>>> itself
>>> shows endless pages of the following sprawling past very quickly:
>>>
>>> open64("/tmp/spamassassin.19296.zEQAlU.tmp",
>>> O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = 256
>>> close(256)                                      = 0
>>> open64("/tmp/spamassassin.19296.6s0hxi.tmp",
>>> O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = 256
>>> close(256)                                      = 0
>>> open64("/tmp/spamassassin.19296.4c61CQ.tmp",
>>> O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = 256
>>> close(256)                                      = 0
>>> open64("/tmp/spamassassin.19296.uPHYoK.tmp",
>>> O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = 256
>>> close(256)                                      = 0
>>>

>> Ade,
>>
>> Anything wrong with /tmp permissions?  Mine (on Linux) looks like:
>> ls -ld /tmp
>> drwxrwxrwt   14 root     root        16384 jan 14 13:58 /tmp/
>>
>> Denis
>>
> Denis,
>
> There doesn't appear to be:
>
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root     sys          256 Jan 14 19:08 tmp
>
> The group being sys is normal for Solaris and all our machines have
> always used that.
>
> The problem only seems to occur when one of the mail servers comes under
> a bit of a load, such as a mailing list type thing.  I watched the
> incoming queues go up to 600 on each server earlier and things were
> fine.  In both servers, MailScanner was going fine until the incoming
> mail queue got down to between 250-300 and then it behaved as above and
> I had to restart and (unfortunately) pass some mail without running
> SpamAssassin over it as the problem kept occurring if I cleaned /tmp and
> restarted MailScanner.
>
> I'm thinking of trying a new Perl build now......really have no other
> ideas left.

These files are generated by SpamAssassin and not MailScanner itself. So
that is where you need to look. Check you are running a recent
File::Temp module and that your Perl is new enough (I don't think
SpamAssassin supports anything older than about 5.6.1).

You can easily install a new perl from www.sunfreeware.com and then just
mv /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl.SUN
ln -s /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl
This will ensure that the new Perl is always used regardless of the $PATH.

My own production MailScanner servers are mostly Solaris boxes and I
have never seen this problem on there, so it's not a general problem.
Let me know if the new perl helps.

--
Julian Field