user howling "MailScanner ate my mail"

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed Jan 12 19:11:07 GMT 2005

Guys,

I have a manager howling that he didn't get an important attachment,
and didn't get any notice that it got rejected either.  The syslog of
the message is attached.  ClamAV tagged it as a zip-of-death "virus"
and then the filename rules complained about bat files.  My
MailScanner.conf settings contain:

Deliver Disinfected Files = no
Silent Viruses = HTML-IFrame All-Viruses
Still Deliver Silent Viruses = no
Deliver Cleaned Messages = no
Notify Senders = yes
Notify Senders Of Viruses = no
Notify Senders Of Blocked Filenames Or Filetypes = yes

How would the recipient get notified of this event?  On a larger note,
how come there is no section in the conf setting like "Notifications back
to the senders of blocked messages", only for recipients?  There is also
no indication from my syslogs that the sender ever got a clue about the
rejection either, probably due to the "Deliver Silent Viruses" setting.

On a side note, the Eicar virus should be added to Non-Forging virus list.
I tried to use it for testing, and the "silent viruses" setting gobbled
the response.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College