"Banned Content" question

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Tue Jan 11 14:53:51 GMT 2005

Most of the "dangerous content" checks that I carry out with MailScanner
are controlled via rules files. In all cases the actions of the rules is
to either "deliver", "delete", "striphtml" or "attachment".

I do not use "disarm" with one exception. In MailScanner.conf I have

  Allow WebBugs = disarm

If I see in the logs "Content Checks: Detected and will disarm HTML
message in jBAtTRU022337" does this _only_ refer to the "disarming" of
web bugs or can it also refer to actions taken over other content which
did not involve the specific "disarm" action?

Looking at the log records for other "dangerous content" actions the
empirical answer to the above question is "yes". Could this be confirmed
please.

Thanks

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.