Archiving Mail

Mon Jan 10 17:04:02 GMT 2005

Craig

I do the entire outside email traffic.

tar it up after three days, then manually burnt to CD once I get enough
to fit onto a CD.

If you make the "Archive Mail = users.rule" you can populate the rule
file with the users you want to archive.

I then have a script that's called by cron to tar.gz up the directories..

#!/usr/bin/perl

#
# IMPORTANT NOTE:
#
# Change the next line to 0 instead of 1 to enable this script.
# By default it will be disabled and will not do anything.
#

$disabled = 0;

$archive_dir = '/usr/MailScanner/archive/';
$backup_dir = '/usr/MailScanner/backup_archive';
$days_to_keep   = 2;

exit if $disabled;

# Standardise the format of the directory name
die 'Path for archive_dir must be absolute' unless $archive_dir =~ /^\//;
$archive_dir =~ s/\/$//; # Delete trailing slash

# Now get the content list for the directory.
opendir(QDIR, $archive_dir) or die "Couldn't read directory $archive_dir";

# Loop through this list looking for any *directory* which hasn't been
# modified in the last $days_to_keep days.
# Unfortunately this will do nothing if the filesystem is backed up
using tar.
while($entry = readdir(QDIR)) {
         next if $entry =~ /^\./;
         $backup_file = $backup_dir . '/' . $entry . '.tgz';
         $entry = $archive_dir . '/' . $entry;
         system("tar zcf $backup_file --remove-files $entry ; rm -rf
$entry") if
-d $entry && -M $entry > $days_to_keep;
}
closedir(QDIR);

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Craig Daters wrote:
> Hello Everyone. We have been using MailScanner for a couple of years
> now, and I must say that it is great! My company has been steadily
> growing larger and larger, and we do business with quite a few people
> via email. Our clients, upon seeing some sort of proof from us, will
> give us an okay to print via email, and the need to archive mail for a
> sort of paper trail when disputes arise has always been in the back of
> our mind.
>
> We have about 4 or 5 people who deal with these clients, and they hang
> onto their mail for a couple of months before deleting everything.
> Sometimes we instances come up where if we had the email, we would have
> gotten paid for the job, but unfortunately was deleted.
>
> I have been trying to work out a solution using MailScanner to archive a
> months worth of mail, tar it up and burn these off to CD or something.
>
> We have one MailServer, sitting on the Internet side of our firewall,
> that all of our 20+ employees who have email, check via POP3.
>
> Installed along side of MailScanner is MailWatch, SpamAssassin, ClamAV,
> ViSpan, and SquirrelMail
>
> I am curious to know if anyone is currently, or has considered, setting
> up some sort of archiving action and how you may have approached it?
> Does anyone have any thoughts or guidance.
>
> I have looked through the FAQ's and am working my mind through the
> "Archive Mail =" configuration so as to set up some sort of streamlined
> process to maybe backup mail for these 4 or 5 users weekly, then all the
> weeklys into a monthly, montly's onto a CD. as well as some way to
> retrieve and view the messages easily to find the particular mail.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas, or redirects? Any help or comments would be welcomed.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Craig D.
>
> --
>
> Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)