Buglet and suggested fix

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Fri Jan 7 17:36:53 GMT 2005

Ouch.  I've just installed MS 4.37.7 on a new Fedora Core 2 box, and it
"blackholed" the first few emails (nothing delivered, nothing bounced).
Fortunately it is a test box.

For the "mqueue.in" and "incoming", (also "quarantine") directories, our
convention differs from the defaults in "MailScanner.conf" .

Alas, what caught us out is that the MailScanner startup procedure doesn't
read MailScanner.conf for these values, but instead has them separately
hardcoded in "/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner" as INQDIR and WORKDIR.

This replication of data (compare: single source and multiple derivations)
seems unnecessary.  Further, "/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner" already has an
example of deriving information from "MailScanner.conf" at its:
   MTA=`perl ... /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf`

Could I suggest that "/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner" be adjusted in future
releases to use a similar technique to set INQDIR and WORKDIR, please?

Thanks.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :