Stop Sendmail from bouncing unknown user?

paddy paddy at PANICI.NET
Fri Jan 7 14:21:43 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 03:15:49PM -0600, Richard Thomas wrote:
> paddy wrote:
>
> >rfc2821 seems quite clear on this point:
> >
> >  If an SMTP server has accepted the task of relaying the mail and
> >  later finds that the destination is incorrect or that the mail cannot
> >  be delivered for some other reason, then it MUST construct an
> >  "undeliverable mail" notification message and send it to the
> >  originator of the undeliverable mail (as indicated by the reverse-
> >  path).
> >
> >I can't find the 'get-out clause' that relieves you of this obligation
> >in general, although I do not profess to have a good knowledge of
> >all the relevant standards.
> >

> An RFC is not a law. If you don't comply, you are merely noncompliant.
> This matters where it matters and doesn't where it doesn't.

I second that !

I didn't mean to imply that an rfc is law, but it may be worth considering
that in some jurisdictions accepted best practice (and for that matter
the use of terms like email or internet email, without further qualification
- trades descriptions?) might carry some weight in the context of any legal
wranglings (IANAL and I really don't have a clue about this, just
speculating).

But I didn't mean to imply a legal meaning at all, I'm afraid its just
the syle of the language I used.

I meant to imply an technical/ethical/moral meaning - what _should_ one do?

In particular, as I hoped was clear, to say that I view one option as
a poor choice to be avoided if possible, and to solicit discussion of
this view, if necessary.

Nevertheless, thank you for helping to clarify that: I hadn't realised
that anyone would read it that way.

Perhaps I mis-read the original email?

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall