LDAP and beyond ......possibly a new Mailscanner feature request

Vlad Mazek vlad at MAZEK.COM
Thu Jan 6 00:44:22 GMT 2005

You can hack Vispan (probably be faster to write your own snippet) to
parse the maillog and look for a pattern of dictionary attacks coming
from the same IP address (just scan for the maillog for the error code
you are issuing "user unknown") . You _should not_ be giving out more
than 3 failures a day to a server with no PTR record -- They should be
immediately moved to a firewall rule and blocked from contacting the
server completely. Not just because you want to keep the dictionary
attacks off the server but because these "servers" are usually 0wn3d
boxes that will launch random attacks on your network sooner or later.

This is a bit beyond the scope of what MailScanner does as the content
scanner; These kinds of plugins are best left for independant
third-party utilities that you should customize for your environment.

-Vlad