Reloading config

Magnus [ISO-8859-1] Morén magnus.moren at CITE.HH.SE
Wed Feb 23 09:07:01 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 09:44 +1100, James Gray wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:17 pm, Magnus Morén wrote:
> > # grep PID /opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
> > PID file = /opt/MailScanner/var/MailScanner.pid
> >
> > Looks good.
>
> Agreed.  Even though I've snipped the rest of the info, the only thing Ian
> think of is that whatever user is running the script either:
> 1 - doesn't have permission to read the PID file

; Running as root
# id
uid=0(root) gid=1(other)

; All users can read
# ls -l /opt/MailScanner/var/MailScanner.pid
-rw-r--r-- root root 6 Feb 22 08:57 /opt/MailScanner/var/MailScanner.pid

; Testing from prompt as root
# cat /opt/MailScanner/var/MailScanner.pid
13896

# kill -HUP 13896

;  no reload and no output in logfiles :-(

> 2 - doesn't have permission to HUP the MailScanner process.

MailScanner is running as root and I think root is allowed to "kill -
HUP" all processes (running Solaris 9 btw, no SELinux involved...)

> 3 - the script is somehow not executing `cat <PIDFILE>`  (`cmd` is a
> Bourne/bash thing; does the script have the right shell in #!/foo/shell ?)

; Script looks ok and as you see above I can't kill -HUP from
; command line either

# head -1 /etc/init.d/mailscanner
#!/sbin/sh

# ls -l /sbin/sh
-r-xr-xr-x root root 299496 Apr 7 2002 /sbin/sh

> Beyond that - I'm out of ideas at the moment.  What happens if you run a
> "kill -HUP `cat <PIDFILE>`" as root??  Do you get an error message?  Is there
> anything that gives a clue in the mail log etc?

I'm also "out of ideas". This is not a showstopper as I can restart MS,
but I find it strange...

--
Central IT / CITE,   Högskolan i Halmstad,    035-167383
Box 823, 301 18 HALMSTAD, epost: magnus.moren at cite.hh.se