Rule match by Subject: ?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 17:59:02 GMT 2005

    [ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-2" character set. ]

The problem is parsing it all.
I could insist on double-quotes round the pattern for the header value,
regardless of what type of pattern it is (so regexps would look like
"/...../") but then I've got to allow the " character in the string.
Then there's the problem of "and" conditions, so I can't even look for
the last " in the rule. But it would be better than nothing, and would
let me get started on it. Maybe I do a half-way-house solution now, and
re-visit it later if people actually need me to. In the mean time, if
you want to use "and" then you would have to put the header match on the
right-hand side of the "and", so you wouldn't be able to use a rule that
studied 2 different headers.

But if people don't actually need that functionality, then it's not a
great problem.

I think I have to be practical about what to allow users to do, doing a
theoretically perfect solution is going to be very awkward.

You would still be able to do
header subject "string" yes
and
from user at domain and header subject "string" yes
but you wouldn't be able to do
header subject "string" and header list-id "string2" yes

The "header" keyword is required as otherwise I can't tell the
difference between checking the envelope sender (with "From") and the
From: header (with "header From").

How does that sound?

--
Julian Field