Debugging and resolving high loadavg when running MailScanner

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Wed Feb 16 16:36:37 GMT 2005

    [ The following text is in the "windows-1250" character set. ]

Richard Curtis wrote:
> I am not using either... running
> spamassassin -D --lint -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> says there are two problems - but the two problems appear to be that
> razor and pyzor are not installed..
>
> The load is sitting at around 0.5 at the moment - but when I was looking
> about 5 minutes ago it shot to 5.0 when a large batch of email came in.
> I am wondering if I need to do something with the number of children.  I
> currently have it set to 10 - based on the reccomendation of 5 per cpu.
> The other thing I think might be related to my problems are the fact
> that the system is using a fair amount of swap - would that contribute
> to the load ?
10 children is too many with the lack of ram. The easiest (but not
cheapest) would be to double the ram to 1G.
Or try lowering the children to a point where the queues still move
adequately.

--
"If you have ever eaten crow,
It don't taste like chicken!!"