Debugging and resolving high loadavg when running MailScanner

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Wed Feb 16 13:42:33 GMT 2005

Excuse me, but why are you "hung up" on loadfactor as a performance
meter?
It is just the average run queue size (averaged over 1, 5 and 15
minutes), and as such is meant
to vary.

You say you have a 2 CPU system, in which case (with a "SMP capable"
kernel) you'd be fine
with anything up to 2 in a "sustained load" (meaning more than in
transient peaks).

Add to this that processes in "non-interruptible wait" (usually for IO
resources) add an unconditional
1 (one) each, it is not at all surprising that the load goes a bit beyond
your "CPU count" when you
have a larger batch of messages coming in.

Unless you perceive true slowdowns, you don't really have a problem
with that.

Now, the swap bit _could_ be an indicator of true problems... You say you
use it for other things than
as a mailhub... So you might be in a slightly memory starved state,
easily determined via vmstat or sar,
if you have a fair amount of ongoing swapping.
But using swap on a system that runs for an extended period of time is
usually not an indicator of
problems in and of itself, it is the actual moving to/from swap of
frequently used memory slices that'll
be a killer.
If you can determine that you have this situation, you have only two
venues: reduce the RAM usage
(by reducing what the machine does), or add more RAM.

Nothing you've said so far indicate that you do have a problem... Does
the machine occasionally
slow down in a perceptible and measurable way? Does MailScanner report
huge batches?

I'd like to recommend the excellent "swordfish book" from o'rielly
(Systems performance tuning).
Even though it is geared toward Solaris primarily and linux (2.4)
secondarily, it has a lot of general
good tips (and tool usage tips that are rather generic for most unices).

-- Glenn