hardware for MailScanner server?

Tue Feb 15 16:05:29 GMT 2005

Philip

Also depends on average message size..

RAM the more the better.

Also using  Razor & dcc & pyzor might ne a little over the top..

I also hope the bigevil.cf isn't one of the rules you are using...

anyway my 2.8ghz PIV(ht) with 1.5 GB DDR RAM and SATA HD can do around
3,000 messages per hour and it's not that well tuned....(runs FreeBSD
not Linux). That was last time I messed up and the queue was 550
messages which took around 10 minutes to clear.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Philip Hachey wrote:
> Hi.  I have recently greatly increased the number of users whose mail get
> scanned by our MailScanner server.  Now, the hard drive tends to thrash a
> fair bit and SpamAssassin occasionally times out, especially during
> bursts.  MailScanner needs to process around 40-60 messages per five
> minute interval.
>
> The server consists of a stripped down install of White Box Linux (a clone
> of RHEL3 -- 2.4 kernel), sendmail, MailScanner using RBL checks, and
> SpamAssassin using Bayes, Razor, DCC, Pyzor, and SURBL, as well as some
> additional custom rule files and rule files from www.rulesemporium.com.
>
> What would be a reasonable amount of RAM and CPU speed that could handle
> this?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

the system manager.