Mailscanner Installation Problem-Wont Install

Leonard Chatagnier lenc at RURALCOMM.COM
Tue Feb 8 17:58:35 GMT 2005

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
      I have a long standing problem getting Mailscanner to install
      on my Dell Dimension
      XPS T450 running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0, kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4.
      An old Mailscaner
      version was uninstalled(with difficulty) because it wouldn't
      update and now it wont
      install.  Request for help with the Debian user list, Google
      searches, searching your list
      and reading manuals yielded no success.  I hope that someone
      on the Mailscanner list
      can help me correct this problem.  I'm a newbie to Linux and
      totally unknowlegable
      about networks.  I have a single PC connecting to Internet
      using a 56K dialup modem.
      The terminal output from the install command is below:

      ChatagnierL-Home:/tmp# dpkg -i mailscanner_4.38.10-1_all.deb
      (Reading database ... 140708 files and directories currently
      installed.)
      Unpacking mailscanner (from mailscanner_4.38.10-1_all.deb)
      /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: line 22: db_get: command not
      found
      dpkg: error processing mailscanner_4.38.10-1_all.deb
      (--install):
       subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit
      status 127
       mailscanner_4.38.10-1_all.deb
      ChatagnierL-Home:/tmp#
      Note: the /tmp.ci/preinst part of the file path doesn't exist
      so I couldn't
      investigate it.  Mailscanner has never been functional
      although I setup
      Exim, spamassassin and f-prot as I thought it should be based
      on the
      documentation.

      Thanks for any help you might provide,

      Leonard Chatagnier

Sorry, my Perl version is v5.8.4 built for i386-linux-thread-multi.