Curious

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Feb 8 15:45:13 GMT 2005

At 07:30 AM 2/8/2005, Dave Filchak wrote:
>I have been seeing the following off and on in my logs (relatively
>consistent though). I am curious about them and was wondering if anyone
>else has been seeing these and if they have any comments on them.

It's probably viruses. They forge the sender based on addresses they find,
and often their "foraging" algorithms pick up things which are not email
addresses. I haven't seen a lot of that form recently, but I have seen it
plenty before.

I also see quite a few viruses trying to use message-id's, and even IE
cookie file names as email addresses.

A cookie file name extracted from Internet Explorer:
<censored>@hg1.hitbox[2].txt

A message ID:
69.1106270997 at mail-app-2001.iad2.amazon.com