"Restart Every" option in MailScanner.conf?

Michael Mansour micoots at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 31 00:08:34 GMT 2005

Hi Peter,

--- shuttlebox <shuttlebox at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> On 12/30/05, Michael Mansour <micoots at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > These
> > scripts are good when you're running on a single
> host,
> > but in a cluster they only cause problems for the
> > standby node.
> >
> > I guess all I have to do is remove the cron job
> and be
> > sure to set a monitor on the process to tell me
> when
> > MailScanner is shutdown.
> >

> I'm glad you found the problem.
>
> Is there a reason why you want one system just
> idling, why not running it
> instead? It will share the load and still take all
> the load if one fails.
> It's as easy as assigning an MX record in DNS
> pointing to both your boxes
> with the same "cost".

Yeah I understand that, but the cluster is setup in a
HA failover cluster, there's a shared disk array
between the two, and the inbound mail directory exists
on the shared storage device, which is only mounted on
one server at a time.

The standby node literally does just sit there waiting
for failover, which may not be an ideal "use of
resources", but is the way I want it at present.

Michael.