"Restart Every" option in MailScanner.conf?

shuttlebox shuttlebox at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 30 17:02:06 GMT 2005

On 12/30/05, Joost Waversveld <joost at waversveld.nl> wrote:
      > instead? It will share the load and still take all the load
      if one fails.
      > It's as easy as assigning an MX record in DNS pointing to
      both your boxes
      > with the same "cost".

      This is not true!!! If you assign an MX record with the same
      cost, then
      the DNS will randomly return one ip. If that IP fails, it
      will NOT try
      the other, but another MX record with an higher cost or fail.

The DNS server will return all records in random order and the client
will normally pick the first one. That makes for easy load sharing. MTA:s
try another MX if one is not available, do you mean that with same cost
that principle is void? That would break RFC974 I think:

 If the list of MX RRs is not empty, the mailer should try to deliver
   the message to the MXs in order (lowest preference value tried
   first).  The mailer is required to attempt delivery to the lowest
   valued MX.  Implementors are encouraged to write mailers so that they
   try the MXs in order until one of the MXs accepts the message, or all
   the MXs have been tried.  A somewhat less demanding system, in which
   a fixed number of MXs is tried, is also reasonable.  Note that

   multiple MXs may have the same preference value.  In this case, all
   MXs at with a given value must be tried before any of a higher value
   are tried.  In addition, in the special case in which there are
   several MXs with the lowest preference value,  all of them should be
   tried before a message is deemed undeliverable.

--
/Peter