Joe Jobbed, etc.

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 23 21:51:40 GMT 2005

On 22/12/05, Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:
> >> I'm not sure if I'm the victim of a joe job, or reverse NDR, but in
> >> thinking about it, milter-ahead won't solve the greater problem
> >> anyway. Right now, my Exchange box is replying to the NDRs.
> >> Milter-ahead would just cause my MS gateway to do that instead.
> >
> > Um, no.... The thing is it'll reject the erroneous addresses early in
> > the SMTP conversation, at the RCPT TO: stage, way before any hefty
> > DATA has been sent, and _mostimportantly *before* you have accepted
> > the mail_... This means that the mail is still the senders problem,
> > and it is the _sending MTA_ that need generate the NDNs/NDRs, not you.
> > Nice, eh?
>
> Ah, you're right.  Sometimes one loses site of the forest for the trees.

:-).
Been there, done that (and any admin who says other is either lying or
not really worth their salt..... Or incredibly lucky:-).

> >> I think the better thing
> >> to do is to accept the mail and deep six it.
> >
> > No! Why take responsibility for something that really *shouldn't be
> > your problem*?
>
> Well, spam/viruses *shouldn't* be any of our problem and if they brought
> back public tar and feathering it wouldn't be <g>.  But it is.  So I'm
> just looking for the easiest way to ride out this storm.

*chuckle* True. But then, the next best thing is setting things up so
that *you* don't have to care;).

> >> Anybody see any problems with that,
> > (snip)
> >
> > More of a science project than handling it at the MTA, if you ask
> > me;-).
>
> Not really - a one line entry in spam.blacklist.rules is pretty simple,
> and would solve the immeditate problem until I can get milter-ahead or
> some other more robust solution implemented.  Not as optimal as doing it
> at the MTA perhaps, but definitely a testimony to the flexibilty of
> MailScanner!  Syncing active directory and sendmail is certainly doable
> but it's not a five minute job.
>
> Question is, would the example I gave work, and if not, what would?

You answered that nicely way before my "wine-reddled" fingers could
> > Merry Xmas!
> type an answer, so... yeah, well. Perhaps I should shut up.

> Thanks, you too.  And a spam-free New Year...

It'd better be... I'm 600 Km OoO, and not really planning to return
until after NY, so ... MailScanner will cover for me... as
always:-):-)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn