OT - Sendmail accept_unresolvable domains

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Fri Dec 9 17:52:47 GMT 2005

Steve,

If you're referring to the sendmail configuration option:

dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

This should most definitely be disabled. All of our servers and customers
servers are configured this way and have been for years. It merely requires
that the sending server an A or MX record in DNS.

We used to get complaints a few years back but now all legitimate mailers
(and most spammers) have DNS records. We typically see a small percentage of
rejections from this rule but now receive no complaints.

Steve

Stephen Swaney
Fort Systems Ltd.
stephen.swaney at fsl.com