Feature Idea: MailScanner process name

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Thu Dec 8 19:50:22 GMT 2005

Yep, I do the same as Jeff in that I can see sendmail accept, what milters did what, what mailscanner determined if anything and then what sendmail did to deliver.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 2:12 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Feature Idea: MailScanner process name

I take the contrary point of view -- I log everything for all processes (sendmail, MailScanner, popper, etc) into one file.  All facilities and loglevels from syslogd.conf point to the same file.  Yes the file is gigantic on my mail server (about 100 MB/day, rotated daily), but everything is in one place waiting for grep to reveal what I want.  What happened to a mail message?  Grep for the msgid and see both sendmail and MailScanner actions.  Want to know about a user?
Grep for userid to see sendmail, MailScanner, and POP actions.  Easy.
Behold the power of grep.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College