eBay Spam

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 18:08:35 GMT 2005

Glenn Steen wrote:

>You might also have a look at the Phishing net in MailScanner.... It
>is really worthwihile, and should be pretty easy to make not too prone
>to FP things...

One thing to note: if you are going to try out the phishing net, then
please make sure you have a nice recent version of MailScanner. The
phishing net develops continually to increase its effectiveness and
reduce the false positives. A version 3 months old may well be nowhere
near as good as the latest one. Please don't rate it unless you've tried
something recent.

If you have plenty of spare server capacity, then you might want to give
MCP a try. It has a large overhead cost but may help you if you don't
want to mix this with the spam scanning at all. I would try the phishing
net, then add a few SpamAssassin rules to catch it, and only go down the
MCP route if you already use both low and high scoring spam actions and
want to do something completely different with it. Even then you could
write a Custom Function to deduce the spam action depending on exactly
what SpamAssassin rules hit the message. A "delete" action if your
custom SpamAssassin rules hit would be pretty easy to implement, and
would work nice and fast.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.