smtp load balancer???

Lewis Bergman lbergman at WTXS.NET
Wed Dec 7 21:09:54 GMT 2005

DAve wrote:
> Lewis Bergman wrote:
>
>> DAve wrote:

>> We are using Extreme Networks for this. Can be found used for a
>> reasonable price. We got ours from netwq.com I think.
>

> Interested in your opinion of using it in front of MailScanner boxes. I
> have narrowed my choices down to either the product from Coyote Point or
> Big5.
It works just like most load balancers I have seen. It has knowledge of
several protocols. You put the servers you wish to LB in a vlan, assign
a weight, a protocol, and enable it. The weight can adjust the load
between servers so you can send server a twice as much as server b and
server c 3 times as much a. The protocol gives it what to check so that
it knows when to remove one of the servers from the pool and when to
reinstate it. You can also assign a specific command response if you
want to test something not already integrated.