Mail::ClamAV Install problem

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 1 09:50:15 GMT 2005

On 01/12/05, Jon Leeman <technician at cenpac.net.nr> wrote:
> >>Group,
> >>
> >>I have recently installed MS on a Mandrake 10.0 machine from
> >>"install-Clam-SA.tar.gz" and "MailScanner-4.47.4-2.rpm.tar.gz".
> >>
> >>(I have a production MDK 10.0 machine I installed about 7 months ago
> >>running MS 4.40.6 / ClamAV 0.83 /  0.17  Mail::ClamAV.)
> >

> > Why would you stay with dreary ol' 10.0? I've installed exactly this
> > on a LE2005 (10.2) with no problems whatsoever... And will probably
> > move up to 10.3 (2006) when I get a free timeslot or two...:-)
>
> As soon as a friend sends the 10.2 CD's from overseas - ever tried
> downloading the three ISO's via a congested 64 Kbps satellite link ? -
> I'll do a complete re-install.

Ah. Avert the horror (Brings back memories from the bad ol' "thin-band" days).
When I went from <64Kbps to c:a 256 was when I started actually
downloading images... And that was entirely painful too, although I
was sooo happy back then... Must have been just after the dinosaurs
checked out:-).
I'm in Sweden, so postage might be a bit steep... But if you cannot
get it from anywhere else (closer by), then give a shout and I'll see
to burning a set for you.

> <snip>
>

> > (snip)
> > Do you have any other errors that might pertain to this? That "failed
> > in require" indicate that you can't get hold of the libclamav
> > functions somehow (assuming I read the code correctly:-), one option
> > of which would be for it to fail to build at all...
>
> I came in at about 0400 this morning and did a complete re-install of
> the machine with 10.0 again.  Mail-ClamAV-0.17.tar.gz installed with
> absolutely no problems this time.  I must have screwed something badly
> with the original install.

Lets blame it on sun-spot activities or somesuch then... If the
machine behaves itself hence:-).

> Thanks for your time.

You're welcome.

> > BTW, you should really update that Clamav install on the "old
> > (working) system" regardless of this problem, since 0.83 will fail to
> > get signature updates (run a "freshclam -v" if you need "proof":).
>
> Thanks for the 'heads up' and I have upgraded.  Just as well I run
> Bitdefender in parallel.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon [Nauru, Central Pacific]

Ah, good.
Now, if you can use one of the other AVs claiming to be free under
certain conditions, or if you have access to some "lenient licensing"
(like a corporate McAfee or a Panda (so that you have access to the
signature updates) or ....), then you might have another that will
work for you when the others are on the blink:-). I run BD, Clamav and
McAfee, and have seen them all be "sole saving factor"... Then again,
if you can't get one and budget is tight, BD and clam in conjunction
with MS filename/type will be good enough.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn