Best practise?

Peter Russell pete at ENITECH.COM.AU
Wed Aug 31 23:06:00 IST 2005

2 questions

I currently scan mail for a handful of domains and less than 2000 users.
I have primary and secondary MailScanner servers both with own MX
records of different weights. They are on 2 different physical
networks/sites, but one of those networks and the site is being
decommissioned. The second machine will moved to the same rack as the
primary. We have a another MailScanner machine that handles outbound
mail only.

Should i just turn the secondary into a backup MX and simplify the whole
thing by having just one mailscanner and the backup mx machines? Or is
it better to continue to maintain two mailscanners? My preference is for
the ms+backupMX option but not sure of there are drawbacks with this
that i havent considered?

My next question is that we provide a service that is an email address
for ex students for life. Its a subdomain of ours and there is no mail
storage, it is simply a forwarding/redirecting service. There is a web
gui that allows users to change their forwarding address. The
development guys dont like the system that does it now and would prefer
to output a text file from their app and let me redirect this using
Postfix on MailScanner. Is Virtual Alias maps the best way?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions
Pete