Do I need to put the update_virus_scanners to cron??

Norbert Schmidt norbert.schmidt at IS-TELEDATA.COM
Wed Aug 31 14:09:38 IST 2005

MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK> wrote on 31.08.2005
14:54:08:

> On 31 Aug 2005, at 13:15, Norbert Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the mailscanner book says, the update of the virus scanner
> > signatures is
> > done hourly by the update_virus_scanners script.
> > But not at my debian installation. I can start the
> > update_virus_scanners
> > script manually and the update works and gets logged to syslog.
> > But when I do:
> > tail -f /var/log/mail.log |grep update.virus
> >
> > No more logging happens thus no more updateing seems to happen.
> >
> > Do I have to start the script from cron.hourly??
>
> You need an hourly cron job to call update_virus_scanners. How you
> implement that is up to you, I'm surprised that the deb package
> doesn't include one, disappointing.
>
> - --
> Julian Field
I've crosschecked with a rpm based system and found that there are no
cron.hourly scripts there.
So "cron.hourly/check_mailscanner" also seems to be missing within the
debian package.

Norbert

IS-Teledata AG
Stollwerckstr. 7
D-51149 Köln

    [ Part 2, "S/MIME Cryptographic Signature"  ]
    [ Application/X-PKCS7-SIGNATURE  5.6KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]