destination host is loopback

Greg Matthews gmatt at NERC.AC.UK
Tue Aug 30 10:15:07 IST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 11:36 -0400, Stephen Swaney wrote:
> > I'm getting a number of errors everyday in my logs of the sort:
> >
> > mail.eastrolog.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
> >
> > sure enough, if I do a DNS lookup for the above host, it resolves to
> > 127.0.0.1. Is there anything I can do about this? I get about half a
> > dozen different hosts like this per relay per day.
> >

> This is a very common sendmail problem. Checking Google for:
>
> 	config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
>
> Yields:
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 84,800 for config error: mail loops back to me (MX
> problem?). (0.45 seconds)
>
> This found link is one of many that will give you the answer:
> http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/mail_loops_back_to_me.html

except that I dont want to accept mail addressed to eastrolog.com
mailboxes (its a spam domain). The problem is that mail.eastrolog.com
resolves to 127.0.0.1 in the DNS. I dont want to have to put every host
that resolves to the loopback address in my mailertable - there are
others.

> Just a hopefully polite hint that it's sometimes quicker and easier to
> Google for the error message than to post to the list :)

thanks for the hint steve!

GREG

> Have a good weekend,
>
> Steve