Possible bug with spam permissions

Remy de Ruysscher remy at UNIX-ASP.COM
Thu Aug 25 19:54:49 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:

> I've burnt a CD of the -bootonly.iso file for 5.4, and it won't boot
> off it.
> And if I try to burn one from my laptop at home, the software refuses
> to accept it is an ISO at all. And that is separately downloaded from
> www.mirror.ac.uk, which is usually fine.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
> I can't get this d**n BSD stuff to start at all.
> Do I need to boot off the -bootonly.iso then use disc 1 then disc 2?
> The installation guide is at least 10 years old, it tells you to
> catalogue all your hardware with ISA-bus interrupt numbers and stuff
> like that, it is so out of date it is useless.
>
> /me not impressed by FreeBSD so far...

Have you verified the MD5 of your CD?  MD5
(5.4-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso) = 2afe65af7e7b994c3ce87cefda27352e
I've never downloaded the bootonly, but the normal releases (disc1 and
disc2) worked always flawlessly.

ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.4/5.4-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
(you need only disc1 for normal installation).

Just boot off disc 1 and you'll find yourself in the sysinstall.

See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

Regards,
Remy