Moving MailScanner to new system problems

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Wed Aug 24 15:21:28 IST 2005

James Pifer wrote:
>> > My new box is running Centos 4, the old was Redhat 8. I copied my
>> > /etc/MailScanner directory to the new box then ran the latest
>> > MailScanner install. It seemed to go fine, but I'm having the following
>> > issues:
>> >
>> > 1) Had to modify /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner.conf to specify the MTA.
>> > Even though it was correct on the MailScanner.conf, it kept complaining
>> > (Invalid MTA error) until I modified it there.
>> >
>> > 2) When I try to start MailScanner I get the following error:
>> > # service MailScanner start
>> > Starting MailScanner daemons:
>> > /): No such file or directory51 4.0.0 can not
>> chdir(/var/spool/mqueue.in
>> >                                                           [  OK  ]
>> >         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>> >         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>> > #

Would it be possible (and simpler) to just re-install the whole thing,
integrate with sendmail, antivirus, sa, razor... and then run a
upgrade_MailScanner_conf (and / or upgrade_languages_conf) with
reference to the old MailScanner.conf? Changes to the mailscanner
sysconfig file shouldn't be required at all. Possibly a task that
shouldn't require more than a couple of hours..

Just make sure you follow the practices as outlined in the wiki.
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#how_to_setup_a_mailscanner_server

- dhawal