Mailscanner and Spamassassin

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Aug 21 17:44:23 IST 2005

Bjørn-Sverre Nøttum wrote:

>I am running a fedora core 3 server. This comes with both
>sendmail(8.12.11, config V10/Berkeley) and spamassassin(3.0.4) already
>installed. I have installes clamav(0.85 ClamAV 0.85 / wbmclamav 0.6.0)
>myself from rpm.
>
>No the mailscanner works well when it comes to virus control. I have tried
>to send for instance eicar, but this is stopped by the mailgateway.
>
>My problem now is that the messages are not scanned for spam. Even thou
>mailscanner is set up to use spamassassin, and spamassassin i s activated,
>there is nothing in the mailheaders to indicate that the mails are scanned
>for spam.
>
>Spamassassin is configured (this is done in the server installation) to
>work with procmail, so maybe the problem lies here. If so, how can I
>change this?

You don't need (or want) SpamAssassin to be running with procmail, or be
running as a daemon or anything like that. So you can
    chkconfig spamassassin off
    service spamassassin stop
as those will just be causing extra overhead. Also remove SpamAssassin
from your procmail setup.
All you need is to put
    Use SpamAssassin = yes
in your /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf file.

Personally, rather than use the RPM of ClamAV or SpamAssassin, I
download and install the Clam+SA package mentioned at the bottom of the
MailScanner downloads page (but there again I would, wouldn't I :-)

Then stop MailScanner, put it into Debug mode and check that it is
starting up okay. You can do this by:
    service MailScanner stop
Set
    Debug = yes
in /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf, and run the
    check_MailScanner
command to try it out with 1 batch of messages. You will need to have a
few messages sitting in your mqueue.in ideally.
It should print out a few lines of output, and no error messages. Post
here any error messages you get and we will be able to see what is going on.
To put it back into normal non-debug mode, set
    Debug = no
in /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf and run
    service MailScanner restart
to properly shut it down and restart it afterwards.

You should also ensure you have
    Log Spam = yes
    Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes
in your MailScanner.conf to be sure you get all the reports. You should
be able to see the spam headers in the full headers of any email
processed by it, and you should get spam reports in the maillog.

Hopefully that lot will reveal some information to you.

--
Julian Field