how to pre-process forwarded mail for sa-learn

Michael Shiloh michael at MICHAELSHILOH.COM
Tue Aug 16 07:27:52 IST 2005

Hello,

I'm using mailscanner+spamassassin+postfix on a gentoo system and
have been very happy with it. It is time to train it further on
the spam that slips through.

I read my email with pine, and I save all my spam in a mailbox called
"spam". I use mbox format, and I simply run sa-learn against my spam
mailbox.

Other people at my site read email on their windows machines using pop
and Microsoft Outlook, so it's a little harder to run their email into
sa-learn.

I've searched the archives and the web at large, and I have found
scripts that will remove forwarding headers, so that I can set up a
mailbox for spam and have my windows users forward their missed spam to
the appropriate mailbox which will then by filtered and processed by
sa-learn.

The trouble is, all the scripts I've found are proclaimed (by the
authors) to be hacks and don't seem to really work well.

It would seem to me that what I am trying to do
must be very common, and I am suprised that there aren't better tools
for doing this. This leads me to believe that either my approach is
wrong, or I am unable to find the answer.

So my question is this: How can I best collect the missed spam from my
Windows users, and train spamassassin on it? Is there a formal
procedure, or is the state of the art really the hacked scripts that I
find on the web? At the very least, can someone point me to a good
example of such a script?

Sincerely,
Michael