oom-killer - Spamassassin timeout?

Dirk Enrique Seiffert ds at CARIBENET.COM
Mon Aug 15 22:15:01 IST 2005

El Dom 14 Ago 2005 13:16, Julian Field escribió:
> Try reducing the "Restart Every" time.

Researching the logs for suspicious processes I found on both crashes a
MailScanner process "kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2121
(MailScanner)." In the first crash the process had been running for about 4
hours, in the second crash it was about 12 hours. I changed "Restart Every"
to hourly restarts. (Usually I restart every 24 hours without having
problems.)

As this is a brand new machine and I have two more installations with same O/S
and application versions running without any problems, I would like to get a
better idea of the reason for these crashes. Other posters on this thread
asign this problem to bad memory or a kernel bug? Searching the net I find
some posts on Spamassassin consuming memory. Anyhow I can see that the
machine stays fine for about one week, then it starts slightly to swap out.
And very fast and sudden it crashes with the OoM-killer, killing a
MailScanner process first. (As this is only a mailserver its not a big
suprise that MailScanner ist the first one to die, there is not much more
running.)

Cahnging the value in "Restart Every" hopefully helps, but isn't it a
workaround for other problems?

Thanks for your opinion

Enrique

--