OT: Sendmail and Mailertable Problem

William Burns William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM
Thu Aug 4 23:23:46 IST 2005

Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:

> Hywel Burris wrote:
>
>>    Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for the off topic request for help but i am sure that someone
>> here will have had the same problem.
>>
>> I am using mailertable to route mails to our sister companies after
>> scanning them. The problem is that sendmail refuses to use the value
>> in /etc/mail/mailertable even though it's in brackets and always uses
>> the dns.
>>
>> Config below
>>
>> [root at mail-2 mail]# cat sendmail.mc | grep mailer
>> dnl FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
>> FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
>>
>> I have tried both there not sure what the -o is for but it was in
>> there as default on RH9.
>>
>> the domain is in the relay-domains file
>>
>> [root at mail-2 mail]# cat mailertable | grep abcd
>> .abcd.co.uk        smtp:[mail.abcd.co.uk]
>>
>> I have overcome this problem by adding a zone file and mx on bind for
>> the  host.
>>

> Have you tried:
>
> To:   abcd.co.uk   RELAY
>
> You're not saying how exactly sendmail refuses, and if any errors come
> up. Have you run "makemap hash mailertable.db < mailertable"?

Hywel:

If I'm reading you correctly, sendmail doesn't refuse these messages,
but accepts them, and either doesn't know where to deliver them, or
attempt to deliver to the "wrong" place if you don't like how the MX
records are configured for that domain.

This is what I've got in my sendmail.mc:

> FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl

And this is in my sendmail.cf:

> Kmailertable hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db

(If you don't have something like the above line in your sendmail.cf,
you'll have to regenerate that file.)

If you haven't tried Alex's suggestion yet, it'd be a good idea to run
"strings mailertable.db" to see what you've currently got in your
mailertable.db file.
I'm not familiar w/ the wildcard syntax that you appear to be using in
your mailertable entry.
For testing purposes, I'd suggest explicitly naming each full subdomain
on the left-hand-side of  your mailertable entry. (w/ no leading ".")

Otherwise, your syntax looks good.

-Bill