MS 44.5 perl warning during install

Brad Beckenhauer brad at BECKENHAUER.COM
Wed Aug 3 14:51:30 IST 2005

Brad Beckenhauer wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Just upgraded from 4.43.7 to 4.44.5 this evening using the tarball and got a perl warning that I've not seen before:
>
><snip>
>Once you have checked that MailScanner.new contains what
>you want, you can then save your old one and move the new
>one into place, using commands like these:
>  mv -f MailScanner.conf MailScanner.old
>  mv -f MailScanner.new  MailScanner.conf
>perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>        LANGUAGE = (unset),
>        LC_ALL = (unset),
>        LC_COLLATE = "C",
>        LANG = "etc/reports/en/languages.conf"
>    are supported and installed on your system.
>perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>
></snip>
>
>My perl version:
>[root at mail]# perl -v
>This is perl, v5.8.7 built for i686-linux-thread-multi
>
>I reboot the system and then checked the environment
>[root at mail]# set
><snip>
>LANG=en_US
>LC_COLLATE=C
></snip>
>
>Note: LC_ALL is not set
>
>I re-ran the install and got the same warning.
>
>I've not activated the 4.44.5 version yet, so I don't know if there are any possible MS Run issues.
>
>I'm not a perl whiz and I'm not sure from my research if this is an MS install issue or if I need to be looking more at my system config.
>Is anyone else getting this perl warning?
>Something in the MS install script?
>Suggestions on what I should look at?
>
>thanks
>Brad

>Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and

export LANG=C before you install... better yet, set LANG=C to be your
default locale (in RH it's in /etc/sysconfig/i18n)...

Thanks Alex..  I tried your suggestion that and still get the warning...
I've re-install one of my previous versions 4-43.7 and the warning persists, so I'm pretty sure it's a local problem and not something with the MS install script.  Then I noticed that version 4-44.6 was current (could not find the announcement), so I installed it...  Same warning.

I ran v4-44.6 briefly and observed no errors, the perl warning appears only near the end of the install so is the warning only cosmetic??

thanks