unable to write pid to sendmail.pid

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Mon Aug 1 22:48:17 IST 2005

I'm pretty sure that this is in the MAQ but what's happening is that when
you try to start Sendmail - It's already running. You don't say what OS you
are running so I can only tell you the processes, not the commands. Also the
init processes are a bit different if you're running Debian, Solaris or
FreeBSD

1. Make sure that sendmail is not running or (for linix) started by an init
script.

2. Restart MailScanner

3. Make sure that MailScanner is started by a init script.

If you're running Red Hat Linux or a Red Hat variant (CentOS) the command
would be:

	service sendmail stop
	chkconfig sendmail off
	service MailScanner restart