maillog logging level

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Thu Apr 28 17:48:28 IST 2005

I have been trying to test sendmail and I am not having too much
success.  Namely because I do not know what I am doing, but I am trying
to learn.  So thank you all for bearing with me and answering my
questions.

I was trying to run commands such as:
peanut# /usr/lib/sendmail -Ctest.cf -t -v
To: craigh at ora.com
From: craig
Subject: Sendmail Test
Ignore this test.

I wasn't able to get anywhere.  I did find this in my log, does this
mean anything?  I did do some searches and seen that this is a security
measure and might be able to ignore it????

Apr 24 04:02:13 WoodenMS MailScanner[7073]: Disconnected from the
database Apr 24 04:02:13 WoodenMS MailScanner[7073]: MailScanner child
dying of old age Apr 24 04:02:14 WoodenMS sendmail[9328]: STARTTLS:
ClientCertFile missing Apr 24 04:02:14 WoodenMS sendmail[9328]:
STARTTLS: ClientKeyFile missing Apr 24 04:02:14 WoodenMS sendmail[9328]:
STARTTLS: CACertPath missing Apr 24 04:02:14 WoodenMS sendmail[9328]:
STARTTLS: CACertFile missing Apr 24 04:02:14 WoodenMS sendmail[9328]:
STARTTLS: CRLFile missing Apr 24 04:02:14 WoodenMS sendmail[9328]:
STARTTLS=client, init=1

I was also trying to find a way to just be able to send an email from
the linux box to somewhere to see if sendmail is working (is that the
best way to test it?) I also tried using the test link that you gave but
the page wasn't found.  I tried a search on testing email at the wiki
site and found only post testing.

Billy Pumphrey
IT Manager
Wooden & McLaughlin