Any suggestions to get spammed

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Apr 26 16:37:02 IST 2005

David Höhn wrote:

> Ed Bruce wrote:
> <snip>
>
> THis is a bad idea.
> Why?
> You _will_ poisin your bayes database. Your Companies MX has a very
> specific way it deals with email and as such it most likely will be
> targeted by a particular "flavour" of spam. Depending on your employees
> preferences and so on. My advice, always, do NOT do that.
>
> test this out before pointing our company's MX

Bah. That's completely bogus.

While this argument is VERY true for ham, it's completely NOT true for spam.

I forward the following statements as fundamental truths of spam

1) spam is high volume, thus any given message reaches a large number of
people.
2) In order to increase volume, most spam is indiscriminate, and sent to
as many addresses as possible.
3) Since most spam is indiscriminate, most flavors of spam do not have a
"target" audience other than "everyone".
4) Also since spam is indiscriminate, spammers resell their lists to
each other. If you are targeted by any spammers at all, you will
eventually be targeted by them all.

Thus, over time, we are all targeted by the same indiscriminate
spammers. My spam looks very much like yours Dan. I get the same basic
mix of 419, drugs, porn, "get a free gadget", refinance, lottery, watch
replica, and "recent tragedy memorial coin" spams as everyone else.

Sure there's some small variance in the rare oddities. I get the
occasional oddball spam offering custom machined steel parts, custom
cast glass, custom cut lithium copper foil, etc. However, these
differences between the spam profile of any two people are very small.

These differences are certainly not even remotely significant enough to
cause bayes poisoning. In order to do that, I'd have to get a
significant number of spams which very closely resemble your nonspam.
That's highly unlikely.