Cluster of MailScanners

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Mon Apr 25 20:58:01 IST 2005

That doesn't help you as much if one goes down, and you're talking
about clients trying to submit messages via SMTP.  They'll get errors
when they hit the "send" button if they try the wrong IP address (I
don't know of any email clients that gracefully fail over in that
situation).  If they wait a few seconds and try again, they'll get
through ... but, IME, that wont keep you from getting a flood of
complaints when you've got a large user base.

We use a load balancer and an array of identically configured
mailscanner boxes.  And instead of limiting submission rates via a
milter, we use the sendmail built-in features for connetion control and
rate control, as well as 2 DNSBLs, and sendmail's Greet Delay.