{Spam?} netiquette on "wiki" website

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Thu Apr 14 20:42:43 IST 2005

My pet OS that is actually dead, not just ailing badly, is DG/UX.... gave
you true HA solutions without having to buy any extra packages (cf IBM, Sun, ...) and a truly flexible virtual disk manager (LVM-ish thing)...
Some might not agree with me (Brandon S Allberry has been known to call
it "the DG abomination":-), but I really think the whole industry lost
something valuable there.

Oh well.

Linux does have some mitigating facts... like the price:-).

-- Glenn

-----Original Message-----
Sent:   to 2005-04-14 20:23
To:     MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject:        Re: {Spam?} netiquette on "wiki" website
Ah, give me a nice IRIX box any day. Finding all the new versions of
configuration files for the packages you have just installed by just typing
    versions
and it lists them all. No hunting .rpmnew files all over the place. No
problems with silly little filesystems that have list-based directory
structures instead of adaptive tree-based systems. Dynamic relinking so
you rarely need to reboot even after library upgrades. Now there's a
decent OS.

Oh, and you remember the program they used in Jurassic Park where they
flew through the filesystem with lots of pillars representing files and
directories on different planes and all that? Well it was real, we used
to run it. It wasn't fake at all.

Ah, now *there's* an OS that rocks.

Steen, Glenn wrote:

>Mandrake... er.... Mandriva (Oh how silly that feels to type) has/had some tool like that specifically for fixing up rpmnew/rpmold files... Seems to be a part of MandrakeUpdate (gtkperl script... perhaps one can borrow:-). Nah.
>
>Better look at kdiff3 or xxdiff. At least kdiff3 seems to do what you want.
>
>-- Glenn (who oc course don't use these.... The terminal is my first love:-)

Julian Field