FreeBSD users out there...

Jason jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Sun Apr 10 01:29:59 IST 2005

Hi Drew. I appreciate your suggestions. I noted below:

> For SpamAssassin, yes. For MailScanner, no. Personally, I would always
> look to build MS thus:
> $ cd /usr/ports/mail/mailscanner
> $ make
> $make deinstall
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^ to remove the old version
> $ make reinstall
> Then you still keep access to the wrapper and languages update scripts
> (Details of which you will see at the end of the installation. Once you
> have done these (If required) then
> $ make clean

Good to know. Looks pretty straight forward really. No jumping through rings
of fire or eating glass. :D

> You then need to cd to /usr/local/etc/MailScanner and check the
> MailScanner.conf.<version number>.new (I think it's called. You won't
> miss it anyway). It will have been automatically updated with the
> details from your old MailScanner.conf but there may be new features or
> options. You can compare against the default, which will also be in the
> same directory called MailScanner.conf.sample. Check also the
> differences between the other old files in that directory and the
> .sample new ones (Use diff to help you). I would also check the change
> log at www.mailscanner.info for other details as you might want to look
> at phishing safe site lists for example. Once you are happy you are
> ready to go.

Alright. I'll make sure I do that. Reading the changelog as I write.

> Don't forget you ought to run $ portupgrade -an just to see what else
> needs updating. There could well be perl modules that MS wants that need
> updating also. If you upgrade MS first and you are happy with the output
> of portupgrade -an just run portupgrade -a and go for coffee! The
> portupgrade will do the rest.

You know, i forgot about using portupgrade -an. Really is a handy tool. If you
don't mind, just for kicks i ran it inside the mailscanner port
(/usr/ports/mail/mailscanner) as well as the spamassassin port
(/usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAsassin). Interesting thing happened when I ran
portupgrade -an in the SA port: Looking at the output, it looks as if it
wants to upgrade quite a bit of ports. Some of them are:

bash2
sudo
sendmail
apache
Even had mailscanner in there. :)

I was a little surprised by this. Is that correct?
I could email you a output list if you like if your curious to see what it
came up with.

> Good luck

thanks

Jason