MailScanner SPAM Forward & Postfix Problem

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Thu Apr 7 16:32:16 IST 2005

This uses the older (unsafe) "two postfix" setup (unsafe since postfix
and MailScanner will try manage the deferred queue *without there being
any locking*).
You should've followed the instructions in
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml
on how to setup and use a "one postfix through the HOLD feature".

> I'm using RHEL 3/CentOS 3.4.  On the MTA side, I am using
> Postfix with a
> virtual alias table.  I want to have MailScanner use the "forward"
> "Spam Actions" option to put all spam in a central email account (it's
> a local account on the same server).  I can email to this central spam
> account no problem (both locally and from outside accounts such as
> gmail).  The "Spam Actions = forward blah at blah.com" works if
> blah at blah.com is an account on a separate system (such as this account
> on gmail).   However, no matter what I do, I cannot make it work with
> a local account -- I always get the following postfix error in
> /var/log/maillog:
>
>   ..., status=bounced (user unknown in virtual alias table).
>
> I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that I'm using a
> virtual alias table, but I don't want to get rid of that (even for
> testing purposes) because it's obviously being used for live email.
> :-)
You can keep the table, but you cannot use any virtual alias for
forward spam actions. This is a known (unresolved/unresolvable) issue,
methinks. Workaround is to use a real address in the forward (IIRC).
Or do a real address bork out too?

-- Glenn