qmail setup temporarily stopping mail forwarded by MailScanner box

Jason Balicki kodak at FRONTIERHOMEMORTGAGE.COM
Tue Apr 5 18:05:14 IST 2005

Dhawal Doshy <> wrote:
> One more way to check if tarpit has been compiled into qmail is this:
> # grep tarpit /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
> Binary file /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd matches

This test came up negative, so I'm guessing it's something
else.  Regardless, the problem has yet to rear it's head
today, and could have just been me screwing around with
it.

Stef Morrell <> wrote:
> Where did you get your qmail from? I am unaware of anything in
> qmail which does this. I have seen a thing called spamthrottle
> for qmail:

Very long story shortened:  I'm taking over for a site I used
to administer but was administered by another party for the
last two years.  They installed a bunch of stuff and I'm
becomming familiar with the changes.  They pulled OUT
the MailScanner+ClamAV+Sophos+SpamAssassin install that
I had and replaced it with just qmail.  No spam or virus
protection or anything.  They installed pegasus mail on
every desktop because that "makes them immune to viruses."
They also let their corporate Sophos license expire.
As far as I can tell, the only reason they did the qmail
thing is because they wanted catch-all addressing (which
the users there now regret.  Well, one in particular. :)
The "they" in "they" is a largish IT consulting firm
who had one "linux guy" on the payroll when they started
the contract and then lost him about three months in.

Thanks again, guys, for your suggestions.  If it pops up
again I'll post again (or if I find a fix I'll post.)

--J(K)