Mailscanner stops scanning attachments??

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 22:34:37 IST 2005

Jeremy Huber wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:56:10 -0400, Denis Beauchemin
><Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA> wrote:
>

>>Within MS, no attachment bumps the score up or down.  Attachments are
>>either left alone or deleted (depending on your setup) but they are not
>>being modified at all unless they were encoded in QP when they should
>>have been in Base64.
>>
>>Are you sure you don't have something else playing tricks on you?
>>

>No, I'm not certain at all (hence the begging nature of the email :) ).
>However, I do know that attachments ARE causing the score to be modified.
>An example from today.. This email was an HTML email, that happened to have
>a TIFF attached, and it triggered all these rules:
>
>Score Matching Rule Description
>0.00 HTML_MESSAGE HTML included in message
>1.00 MANGLED_COST mangled cost
>1.00 MANGLED_DEALS mangled deal(s)
>1.00 MANGLED_DIET mangled diet
>1.00 MANGLED_GOOD mangled good
>1.00 MANGLED_LIPS mangled lips
>1.00 MANGLED_LOW mangled low
>1.00 MANGLED_MEDS mangled med(s)
>1.00 MANGLED_PILL mangled pill(s)
>1.00 MANGLED_SAVELE mangled save sale
>1.00 MANGLED_SEX mangled sex(ual)(ity)
>1.50 MIME_ASCII0 Message body contains ASCII-0 character
>0.50 MIME_BAD_LINEBREAK Message body with fishy line breaks
>0.80 MIME_MISSING_BOUNDARY MIME section missing boundary
>0.26 UPPERCASE_25_50 message body is 25-50% uppercase
>
>I had the user resend without the attachment, and it only triggered the
>HTML_MESSAGE rule.

What have you set to generate that report? Exactly how? The answer may
tell us important things about your setup.

>The other issue with data being pulled out of word docs I can't verify..
>it's only heresay from a customer, but when he sends me the end result, it
>appears as a 64B .doc file and a winmail.dat file, so I suspect that MS (or
>something else) is messing up the attachment.  I've turned off TNEF to see
>if that resolves that one.

MailScanner does not replace winmail.dat files with the files they
contain. It unpacks them to virus scan and do filename/type checks, but
you won't ever get a winmail.dat file as well as a doc file attached to
the same message.

What do you think is adding the doc?

--
Julian Field