Using rules to control Spam filtering

Michael H. Martel martelm at QUARK.VSC.EDU
Wed Sep 29 16:16:19 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hello!

I want to use rules to control which messages get fed to SpamAssassin.  I
want to do this so that lists that contain Spam stuff don't pollute the
Bayes Database.  To that end I setup a rule that I _thought_ would do it.
It doesn't appear to.

My initial thought is that I can't filter on the incoming To line.  And
that the To in FromOrTo is for outgoing.

Thanks!

# Do you want to find spam using the "SpamAssassin" package?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
#Use SpamAssassin = yes
Use SpamAssassin = /opt/VSC-MailScanner/rules/spamassassin.rules

[root at hemlock etc]# cd /opt/VSC-MailScanner/rules/
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          186 Sep 29 11:04 spamassassin.rules

[root at hemlock rules]# cat spamassassin.rules
FromOrTo:       spamtools at lists.abuse.net       no
FromOrTo:       SPAM-L at PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM     no
FromOrTo:       users at spamassassin.apache.org   no
FromOrTo:       discuss at lists.surbl.org         no
FromOrTo:       default                         yes

Michael