Configuring sendmail to drop invalid users

Ken A ka at PACIFIC.NET
Tue Sep 28 15:51:50 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Dustin Baer wrote:
> kfliong wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As you know, i was having "joe-job" attack yesterday. I have since
>> fixed it
>> by adding the script provided by Steve to sendmail.cf file.
>>
>> I now want to refine script by allowing only mails sent to valid users.
>> Those mails send to invalid users currently goes to catchall account.
>> And I
>> have configured catchall to go to /dev/null. But this is not good
>> enough as
>> these mails are still keep in queues and then processed by
>> mailscanner. Is
>> there a way to drop these mails directly from MTA level?
>

> I've used Sendmail for several years and have never had to deal with
> this.  Sendmail doesn't accept mail by default for people not listed in
> its aliases, or virtusertable files.

If MailScanner is run on a relay instead of where your user db is, you
can use the sendmail access list to tell sendmail who the valid users
are, and to deny any others:

TO:valid_user1 at domain.com    RELAY
TO:valid_user2 at domain.com    RELAY
#
#
#
# Default entry to reject
TO:domain.com  ERROR:5.1.1:550 User unknown

You will need to generate this file from your list of real users,
wherever that is, and scp it over to your MailScanner machine(s).

Ken
Pacific.Net