JPEG Virus

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Tue Sep 28 15:10:57 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
I went to the web site, downloaded the virus they had posted, and
fed it to both Sophos and Clam (08.80rc3).  Both detected it, as:

=== Checking virus-jpeg.zip with Sophos sweep
>>> Virus 'Exp/MS04-028' found in file virus-jpeg.zip/possibleVirus.jpg

=== Checking virus-jpeg.zip with ClamAV clamscan
Scanning virus-jpeg.zip
virus-jpeg.zip: Exploit.JPEG.Comment FOUND

So at least the anti-virus people are not snoozing...

Jeff Earickson
Colby College