Configuring sendmail to drop invalid users

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Tue Sep 28 14:17:54 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
kfliong wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As you know, i was having "joe-job" attack yesterday. I have since
> fixed it
> by adding the script provided by Steve to sendmail.cf file.
>
> I now want to refine script by allowing only mails sent to valid users.
> Those mails send to invalid users currently goes to catchall account.
> And I
> have configured catchall to go to /dev/null. But this is not good
> enough as
> these mails are still keep in queues and then processed by
> mailscanner. Is
> there a way to drop these mails directly from MTA level?

I've used Sendmail for several years and have never had to deal with
this.  Sendmail doesn't accept mail by default for people not listed in
its aliases, or virtusertable files.

The comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup would be a good place for your question.

Dustin