checking outgoing mail attachments

Venkata Achanta vachanta at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 23:45:39 IST 2004

Hello all,

I want to specify what attachements are allowed/disallowed in BOTH
DIRECTIONS (i.e. the incoming and outgoing as well,our company doesnt want
to send some file outside but is willing to accept them from outside.In
this scenario only one filename.rules will not suffice)

Hence,I have specified them in two files namely (matches the examples in
actual filename.rules.conf)

filetypeoutgoing.rules.conf
filetypeincoming.rules.conf

These are not the same files.

and my filename.rules.conf looks like this

From:   192.168.217.26   /etc/rules/filetypeoutgoing.rules.conf
From:   default         /etc/rules/filetypeincoming.rules.conf

(The ip address is internal mail server address,its been modified to fake
ip for posting purposes)

When i am starting the mailscanner i get this message

Possible syntax error on line 1 of /etc/rules/filename.rules.conf
Sep 23 14:02:04  MailScanner[31112]: Remember to separate fields with tab
characters!

obviously there is something wrong with the filename.rules.conf

Let me know where i am doing wrong or is there other way to accomplish what
i am trying to do.

or can i do this at all ?

Please advise.

Many thanks to all of the developers of Mailscanner,

--Venkata Achanta