What is going on? Totally bizzare

Dave torontodss at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 15:50:22 IST 2004

Ok now this is interesting..

MS seems to work now, as long as I have LOG SPAM set to YES. If it's set to
NO, MS doesn't seem to work! Just sits there.
I then change to back to YES from No and reload MS and bang starts to work
again...
Just as it was doing while in debug mode. So now I don't have it in debug
mode, and LOG SPAM set to YES and it's working...

I'm going to try and few things today and make sure this is what's
happening. Can someone else try this?

-----Original Message-----
Of Julian Field
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 3:57 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: What is going on? Totally bizzare

At 17:10 22/09/2004, you wrote:
>I'm in the process of setting up a box with MS. I think I have
>everything set correctly and it's filtering emails, BUT it seems to
>work 100% when I'm in debug mode!!
>
>The system is a 700Mhz with almost 400 megs memory.
>I am currently testing it with fetchmail.(Long story), but it works
>fine.
>
>So when I run MS with debug set to YES(also SA debug on), the system
>load is under 2(using uptime/top), I placed 150 spam messages into the
>pop account I'm fetching mail from.(I have a pop account with over 1000
>spam emails). MS starts to process the messages about 30 at a time, I
>keep reloading the MS service and it continues
>to process the emails. All is well...
>
>So I figure everything is working fine, turn off the debug and reload
>MS. NOW the load on the system is up to 5+ nothing in the logs to show
>it's processing anything. And if something does show up on the logs,
>it's timeout messages either from SA or RBL's

Make sure you have
         Log Spam = yes
so you can see it studying the messages. A load of over 5 is quite normal,
that's nothing to worry about. How many child processes are you running?
They will about 40 - 50Mb each, so with 400Mb of RAM then don't run too many
children or it will start swapping. What does top say? What does vmstat say?
--
Julian Field
www.MailScanner.info

mailscanner' in the body of the email. Before posting, read the MAQ
(http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/) and the archives
(http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).